It is true that most people associate autumn with melancholia. Once the summer ends, the outdoor possibilities start to seem limited, the nights are getting colder, the amount of usable daylight drops rapidly and the skies turn grey.
If we look at the downsides, we find a lot of reasons why we feel depressed, moody and unproductive. But if we look on the bright side of this gorgeous season, we already find ourselves dreaming about that hot chocolate and a warm blanket.
Autumn brings us closer to simpler things, it creates the perfect context for us to make time to read, to meditate and to watch a movie. After all, spending time indoors is not such a bad idea.
In order to feel relaxed and have the comfort you need in your own home, you need to make some changes before the holidays approach, otherwise you won’t find the right time to do so.
You can easily turn your home into a stylish, cosy hideaway. We have some recommendations:
- Get things organized. Start by replacing the summer clothes with the ones for autumn and winter seasons. Decluttering and making space for warm clothes is a way of preparing your mind for the cold season.
- Clean your home. You can start with the carpet and the windows. Involve all your family members, even the smaller ones. Get rid of that dust from the summer season and create space for the autumn decorations.
- Create a reading corner. In our chaotic lives, a responsibility-free afternoon or evening is a luxury. If we dedicate spaces in our homes to peaceful activities, they can serve as reminders to slow down and find time for self-care. A reading corner is a place where you can sit and take a breath. It can be a small table filled with books and flowers. Add some quiet music to make it a perfect place to relax. Don’t forget about the blanket and the pillow and an armchair that’s sumptuous to the touch.
Photocredit: Unsplash @ Julia Peretiatko
4. Do you feel like changing the colour of the walls? Take advantage of the fact that it is still hot outside! It is known that in the cold season the walls dry extremely hard. Play with colours and textures and let your creativity go wild.
5. Buy a duvet if you don’t have one. A warm duvet will give you all the comfort you need for a night of worry-free sleep. Whether you want it or not, you have to put away the summer blanket. Choose models with the outer fabric of cotton and padded with feathers.
6. Decorate all the rooms in the autumn-state-of-mind. Start with your living room, if it’s the room where you spend most of your time. Its decoration should give you the warmth you need. You can use baskets, branches and candles. Baskets symbolize the harvest, so fill them with leaves or cones and add some fruits or vegetables. It can be pumpkin, apples, pears or pomegranates. Branches add extra character to your home. Candles add a lovely touch of fall colour to your home with their special scent. Try vanilla, cinnamon or lemon to boost your energy and help you feel happier.
7. Spruce up your bathroom. Choose colours, natural elements, and scents that already remind you of fall. Take longer and warmer baths and enjoy a glass of wine if you have some free time.
8. Enjoy the bounty of the season. Cook some meals and prepare snacks using the ingredients you waited for all summer: the colourful and tasty vegetables and fruits. Just imagine the smell of fresh pumpkin pie coming out of the oven or the childhood smell of the well-prepared eggplants.
Photocredit: Unsplash @ Element5 Digital
9. Arrange places to store fruit sweetness, pickles and all kinds of preserved winter products. Ask yourself what you would love to have post-season that might come in handy when you don’t have time to do the groceries or if a situation comes up. Here you can also team-up with the other family members that are eager to help (or eat) the awesome meals.
10. Start preparing for Halloween. Whether you celebrate this holiday or not, the colors and symbols can be incorporated in your home decor inside and out. Use pumpkins, leaves and shades of orange and black throughout your home to get ready for this holiday in late October.
Photo credit: Unsplash @Toa Heftiba
Now take all those great ideas, roll them together, and entertain in your fall home! You will love it! Finally, once your home is taken care of, enjoy your time and listen to some good music. Prepare yourself a hot tea and read your favourite book or magazine! You deserve it!
For any other suggestions or ideas to improve your living, send us a message.
Do you need a home extension or a loft conversion? We can help. See our range of services available here. Our in-house design service can help design and build the home extension of your dreams that fully utilises the available space.
Give us a call on 020 8537 0361 to book a FREE consultation with one of our experts. We can help you plan, design and build the extra room that will enhance your house and your lifestyle.